Captain Paul Yep, Central Station Commanding Officer, has the following message for local residents:
Safe Shopper 2017 – Holiday Season Safety Tips
During the holiday season, the San Francisco Police Department will be working to enhance safety for residents, visitors and shoppers. There will be increased foot patrols in shopping areas throughout the city, including the horse/mounted unit, plainclothes officers and traffic enforcement.
Follow these tips to help you and your belongings safe:
- Stay alert when using electronic devices. Limit your distractions.
- Always be alert to your surroundings and have your keys in your hand as you approach your vehicle.
- Park Smart: Help avoid vehicle break-ins, leave nothing visible in your car. Consider moving your
vehicle to a different location each time you load packages in the trunk. Try to use parking lots where
there are parking attendants.
- Keep your wallet in a hard-to-reach place and carry only the cash and credit cards that you will need to
complete your shopping.
- If someone demands your purse, wallet, or packages, surrender them, make note of the suspect’s description and direction they flee and call 911. Property can be replaced.
- If you see something, say something. If you witness criminal activity or see something or someone suspicious, flag down a police officer, call 911 or contact security.
- Use 311 to report auto burglaries.
- Shop with a companion, especially after dark, whenever possible.
- Shield your PIN when using ATMs or other electronic devices in public.
Please report criminal activity to police immediately. Additional personal safety tips are available at sanfranciscopolice.org/safeshopper or from San Francisco Safety Awareness for Everyone (SAFE) at